Design in Costa Rica

We have been commissioned to carry out a design on a house that will be constructed in Costa Rica.

Can anyone direct me to:

1)    Local codes and/or standards for residential construction.  Can I apply Canadian codes or will I be referencing the UBC?

2)    Sources of climate data for design.

3)    Sources of geotechnical information for the country in general and directions for gaining information at a local level.

4)    Does anyone have some words of wisdom (or consolation?) :-)?

Thank you.

Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada