Design in Costa Rica

Thor,

My first thoughts would be, "Why in the world would someone commission an
engineering firm in Canada to design a *house* in Costa Rica?"

My first comments would be to reread my first thoughts and be ***very
careful*** (read:  Get paid first!) and check with the Costa Rica desk in
your Foreign Ministry (whatever is equivalent to our State Department) about
Costa Rica, especially any adverse information.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Thor Tandy wrote:

>>We have been commissioned to carry out a design on a house that will be
constructed in Costa Rica.

Can anyone direct me to:

1)    Local codes and/or standards for residential construction.  Can I apply
Canadian codes or will I be referencing the UBC?

2)    Sources of climate data for design.

3)    Sources of geotechnical information for the country in general and
directions for gaining information at a local level.

4)    Does anyone have some words of wisdom (or consolation?) :-)?

Thank you.

Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE<<