Re: Is anyone interested in creating an Engineering Web Link Reference?

I had this thought while reviewing the posts to Frank's questions. How
difficult is it to track (cut and paste) web links into a spreadsheet that
can be import into a database format. I think this might be a good task for
the Online listservice if it is possible for non-subscribers to simply
forward a web address with a brief description to the list. I would be
willing to transfer the links on a daily basis to an Excel Spreadheet and
convert the text link to an HTML link.
The goal is mulitple - We can increase the number of direct links on the
SEAINT Web page already established for engineering links AND we can create a
simple online database search for information.
The trick is to provide as many keywords as necessary to create a good and
effective search criteria. For example, if the site specializes in FEMA 273,
the link can contain keywords that help identify or define FEMA 273.

If this is not possible, anyone can email links directly to me - but please
include a number of keywords and a clear description. I simply want to cut
and paste and will not plan on visiting the sites (unless interested) and
interpreting what is there.

You might also add a consensus if there is valuable information available or
if the link is more of a marketing tool. In time we can rate these links.

Vendors, member of other organizations, institutions, research facilities etc
are encouraged to participate.

One final thought. If you can provide some type of a heading - ie.,
Earthquake or Seismic Design, Wood, Steel, Fasteners etc. - this will help to
narrow the searches.

Opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

Dennis S. Wish PE
SEAINT ONline

In a message dated 6/8/99 11:42:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,