RE: FEMA 273 - Adobe Acrobat

Credit where credit is due: That was not me, but Michael Valley, who clued
us in regarding GSView.  I downloaded it and I hereby add my second, that it
is a great tool for this purpose.

> Inasmuch as
> FEMA 273 is
> published in PDF format - which is and has been the standard
> for quite some
> time - the document is very easily annotated with the tools
> in the full
> package.
> You can attach yellow sticki-notes, highlight text, change
> text (careful
> here) add clouds and lines - with the ultimate goal of
> sending your markup
> back to Degenkolb or the committee for consideration.

Let me add that inasmuch as the FEMA 273 prestandard is available as an
MS-WORD document from the same source, the "cheap and stingy" among us can
download it in that format, do the editing using the similar "mark-up" tools
that WORD provides, then use GSView to convert the resulting document to
PDF, then send it along to the committee.

Not that I want to deprive ADOBE and their distributors of their share of
the $250.00, but for those of us who don't need this capability that often,
it sure is nice.

> One final advantage is that virtually every document can be
> converted to PDF
> (I've found one or two which does not convert including
> TJBeam output).

Don't know this program, but if it can print to a PostScript printer under
Windows (or Mac, for that matter), and can create the PS file, GSView can
turn it into a PDF document.

GSView doesn't actually render the PDF output from the software-specific
document itself, but from a PostScript file made from the document.

Nifty.

> Finally, I use it to accumulate my structural engineering
> calculations and
> drawings into one book which is easier to maintain than paper
> copies.

I endorse this wholeheartedly. I feel a bit funny when the "old-timers" in
our office sneer that we'll NEVER have a paperless office. I look forward to
the day. I can't handle paper. Paper gets lost. I'm not good at filing, so I
do "piling" instead.

Computer documents changed all that for me.  I owe what little organization
is in my life, to the fact that I have much of my life in electronic form.

Finally, I have converted my "new" resume, which I created using WinWay
Resume, into a PDF document.  I simply "printed" the finished resume to a
PostScript file (this was happened to be for an HP5SI printer), and then
used GSView to convert it to .PDF.

The nifty thing is, that it kept ALL the formatting and stuff, including the
cutesy little photos that I had added to my resume to jazz it up.  The
resulting document, including graphics, is a rather convenient 611K in size.
It takes maybe 5 minutes to email it using my modem-based hookup at home.

I have already gotten positive feedback from "headhunters" who have received
it.

If anyone wants to see it, email me privately.