Re: Design in Costa Rica

vicpeng wrote:

> We have been commissioned to carry out a design on a house that will
> be constructed in Costa Rica.
>
> Can anyone direct me to:
>
> 1)    Local codes and/or standards for residential construction.  Can
> I apply Canadian codes or will I be referencing the UBC?
>
> 2)    Sources of climate data for design.
>
> 3)    Sources of geotechnical information for the country in general
> and directions for gaining information at a local level.
>
> 4)    Does anyone have some words of wisdom (or consolation?) :-)?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
> Victoria BC
> Canada
> vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com

Thor:

1.- Our design codes are different from those you use in Canada and
U.S.A..  Basically we have two documents that rule design in Costa Rica:
a. Reglamento de Construcciones (Constructions Code) and b. Codigo
Sismico de Costa Rica (Costarrican Seismic Code).

2. Please provide more information of country's area of the project.

3. With respect to geotechnical information, there is good information,
however, everything depends on the country's area you are planning to
build the house.

3. If you provide me with more specific information about the project,
it will be my pleasure to help you.

Mario A. Tioli D., P.E.
mtdingen(--nospam--at)sol.racsa.co.cr