Re: "Free" Information?

73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com writes:

<<  focu$$ >>
What I forgot to add after my focu$$ enthusium was to reiterate what I stated
before. Professional organizations need more cash to cover the cost of global
or national expenses to attend committee meetings for IBC. The problem is
that I have heard nothing about savings to accomodate greater expenses in
committee work.

I believe that we, as members, can obtain financial statments of the
organization to track spending. It isn't that I think I can do any better job
allocating funds, but I think that a lot of the old philosophies are guiding
our plan for the future rather than serious consideration of using technical
tools to help reduce cost.

I'd like to hear from others in major professional organizations and their
opinions as to how the orginizaton spends money. Do you feel that technology
is not being used to it's minimal advantage to make organizations more
productive?

Should we be concerned? Would it be considered an attack on our chapter to
request a copy of the financial statment so as to review spending? Is it
appropriate for us to take interest in this issue?

I am a member of a board of directors for a non-profit organization with two
full time employees. This is new to me and I am having some difficulty
accepting the rigid proticol for organizational standards.  This last meeting
I constituted a quorum (?) and one of the issues we had to discuss was the
increase in pay for our director from $55,000 per year to $67,000.00.  The
fact is that this guy is dedicated and worth everything I would be willing to
give him. This is much higher than even my income and I started to think -
can he survive without the increase? His wife is a full time administrator
with benifits, I know he is dedicated to the job and would not consider
leaving (he started the program) - but I was pleased to listen to the other
comments and decide to vote in favor of his raise.
My point is that many thoughts came through my mind that asked if we could
benifit elswhere with the $12,000.00 difference to promote the program or
hire part time help.

What do some of you think about reviewing the financial statments of your
professional organizations. Do you think the financial statments should be
automatically sent to all members so that they know how their dues are being
spent. It seems that I recall a breakdown in one letter when we were asked to
pay $25.00 a year more in dues. I don't think this was an established
protocol and maybe it should be.

Let me know your opinions.

Dennis