>From a cursory look at the facts, this seems to be a very unsual building.
By the assignment of shears, it looks like a 4 bay by 3 bay building which
assuming even bays in all directions yields about a 14 ft. bay spacing.
Unusual, even for semiconductor work.

Let me know if I'm in the ballpark.

Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR

 ----------
From: Dan Connell
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Redundancy Factor
Date: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 10:00PM

I am just finishing a course at UCI which included this subject so I'll tell
you what I have learned:

The rho factor is a penalty factor for a non redundant system.
When calculating the rmax factor, you use two adjacent columns.  70% may
only be used on interior columns only.
So say that you have a 4 column frame with the exterior columns taking 2.1 k
ea and the interior ones 4 k ea and the total story shear is 20.2 kips.
r1 = (2.1+.7*4)/49 = 0.1
r2 = (.7*4+.7*4) = 0.11
rmax = 0.11 for this frame at this story
you must find rmax for ea frame at ea story.
note that only the bottom 2/3 of the building need to be considered.
if rmax = .11 and Ab = 2312,
rho = 2-(20/(rmax(Ab)^1/2)) = -1.78
tne negative number says that you have a redundant system and you should use
rho = 1.

let me know if this is correct,
 -Dan Connell