From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 12:19 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: A/E/C Show & Structural Microstation Triforma

Dave in Detroit wrote:

When Intergraph decided to move their products from UNIX to the PC (Windows
NT), they decided not to port MicasPlus.  They only brought the
drafting/drawing production pieces over.  This included the ability to
create a 3d analysis model with geometry and loads.  They gave plenty of
reasons for why they didn't bring the entire package over, none of which I
believed.

Stan Responds:

I think that the decision to drop MicasPlus was tied mostly to personnel.
Micas was developed in the early 1980s by Leonard Rand, first as a student
at RPI, and then as President of the Rand Group in Dallas, Texas.  I bought
Micas for $25,000 in 1984, and when it ran on a Wang 2200.  Later, while the
conversion of Micas to PC computers was underway, the Rand Group was
acquired by Intergraph and relocated to their headquarters.  Leonard Rand
became a Vice President of Intergraph.  It is my understanding that he
subsequently left to join AutoDesk.  I think that MicasPlus died shortly
thereafter.

I don't think that Bentley TriForma can be compared to Intergraph MicasPlus,
because it is my understanding that the former does not have any internal
structural analysis or design engines.  Dave, perhaps you can implant one
(Dow joke)!;^>

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE
Dallas, Texas (Hockeytown South)

This email transmission and any files that accompany it may
contain sensitive information belonging to the sender. The
information is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this email transmission in error, please
immediately notify the Security Administrator.
Security.Administrator(--nospam--at)dowcorning.com