Re: ASD vs. LRFD

Here in the remote reaches of the Florida panhandle, I don't do LRFD...
yet.

AISC likes LRFD; I don't.  No one has yet convinced me of an advantage.

I will use LRFD when either:  1.  The codes demand it; 2.  The client
demands it; or 3.  I recognize some advantage in time saving (my time) or
substantial savings of material (the owner's money).

I understand, but have a problem with this statement, "The future is
undoubtedly LRFD".  Somebody please tell me why.  Better yet, show me.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: Bohm, Gabriel <GBohm(--nospam--at)TechnipUSA.com>
> To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
> Subject: ASD vs. LRFD
> Date: Friday, June 11, 1999 11:45 AM
>

> The future is undoubtedly LRFD. AISC hardly even mentions ASD, but for
now
> it seems that, in terms of LRFD implementation, the structural
engineering
> community is quite a few steps behind. Is this assertion correct? I think
it
> would be of interest to all of us to find out how widespread the use of
LRFD