RE: Two Masters

Bill,

I have worked for design build companies where we walk back and forth
regularly and I have worked for design consulting firms where there is a
strong aversion to getting into "methods and means".

The first issue when getting into construction services structural
engineering is to do a self assessment, and an assessment of the
construction company.  Do you feel capable of doing the work, and do you
trust the construction company to do what you ask?  It is engineering on the
fly.

Secondly, will your insurance cover engineering construction services?  The
risk is greater.  The alternative is to do a hold harmless agreement with
the construction company.

Personally, I like the idea of doing the structural engineering and the
construction structural engineering services.  It gives you more of a sense
of true economy of design as opposed to a theoretical economy.

Erection sequencing and safety is a good case in point.  When during the
erection of a structure is it stable to release temporary bracing?  If you
were an iron worker, would you want an ironworker foreman to decide when to
remove cable bracing, or would you want a structural engineer to decide if
the lateral system was adequate? Where and how do you stage materials?
Where and how do you install lifting equipment?

No one can force you to take a contract to do the construction structural
engineering services, and it is definitely beyond the scope of traditional
design structural engineering services.  But you can ethically work for both
the owner and the construction company.  If not, the multi billion dollar
design build companies would be in serious trouble.

The one constant about the structural engineer providing both services is
that the projects are constructed with fewer problems.  In the process you
will learn a lot about construction, and you will probably learn some new
cuss words.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company