Re: Retaining Wall Surcharge in Snow Country

In a message dated 6/10/99 7:12:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, wellive(--nospam--at)ibm.net
writes:

<< I believe the thinking goes that the soil mass will be effectively frozen
in
 this condition to negate the surcharge effect.

What about the weight of the frozen soil mass? Is not it a surcharge by
itself on the remaining unfrozen soil below, which will include the weight of
the water (ice) in addition to the weight of the soil? Also, does not the
frozen soil expand and create more pressure on the retaining wall?

I was just wondering how to negate the snow surcharge when the soil is
frozen, and forget all the other loading conditions.

Oshin Tosounian