RE: Retaining Wall Surcharge in Snow Country

Mr. Welliver, et. al.,

Our particular climate is very dry and this extends to a low water content
in our soil normally.  For our typical footings we only have to have 18"
embedment because heave is really not an issue.  That said it is our
experience that "frozen" soil and "thawed" soil behave similarly in our
climate.  So I guess what I am saying is that while I believe that the soil
being "frozen" helps, I don't believe it completely alleviates our problem.