Re: Plywood Shearwals & Elevated Conc Piers

This is a typical situation where engineering judgment is put to rest by the
letter of the code. I would approach this in a couple of ways:
1. I could argue that the Aspect ratio is irrelevent if I could show that the
panel is stiff enough to deflect less than the allowable 0.005 times the
story height. Of course, this would require a wall deflection analysis.
2. If there are windows and doors on either side of the shear panels, I would
consider sheathing above and below openings and strapping the headers and
sills to the shearwalls so as to reduce the panels effective height. However,
make sure you can accumulate the shear in the drag panels above the windows
and doors.
3. Raising the curb height is an option but don't disregard your foundation
width and depth to reisist overturning if the panel is highly loaded. This is
often overlooked.
4. Consider a proprietary panel like the Hardy Frame or the Hardy Panel (an
18" wide x 10' max braced frame panel).

These should help to overcome the code restrictions, but I think that it
comes down to haveing the latitude to use engineering creative judgments to
prove your design.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish PE

In a message dated 6/12/99 4:36:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,