Re: Special message for Lurker's

At 20:05 11/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>discussion. He indicated that supported a popular view of the members of the
>list. I asked why he did not participate in the discussion and he replied
>that he could not add to what had been well stated.
>As much as I appreciate the compliments (and I'm sure I speak for all of us
>who are participating in this Thread), this "lurker" has an opinion that is
>not "counted" and may be counterproductive to the goals that those who are
>passionate enough to speak out expect to achieve.  It isn't so much to agree
>or disagree as to have your opinion tabulated by those in a position to make
>changes.

I disagree. We do not want 15000 responses all saying they agree on a
topic. If you want a survey of opinions on a specific topic then create one
on the website and use that to foreward you requests for code changes etc.
Use one email on the list to tell members about the survey and to get them
to participate but not 15000.

If someone disagrees with, or can add to, what is being said and can back
up his or her opinion with logic or theory or intelligent comment then he
or she should reply, otherwise they should keep out of it and listen to
what is being said and learn from it.

We do not want people cluttering up the list with repeats of other emails
or with biased and onesided comments on areas in which they have no
expertise or understanding (eg computer operating systems comments by
certain list members with an obvious deepseated bias or hatred for one side).

For example, I have no experience with wood diaphragms so I am not going to
comment on them but am interested in the discussions. Hoever, if there is a
question relating to my areas of expertise which are  prestressed concrete
design, various design codes and computer software then I will gladly offer
my opinions.
Regards  Gil Brock
Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty. Ltd.
Ph +61 7 3807 8022		Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:	gil(--nospam--at)rapt.pcdc.com.au
webpage:	http://www.home.aone.net.au/rapt.pcdc/