From: Paul Crocker [mailto:PaulC(--nospam--at)ckcps.com]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 3:47 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ASD vs. LRFD

The "young" guys use LRFD because that is what is taught in the schools.
Schools do not teach ASD.  I have heard of many newly minted engineers
being
told to throw away their LRFD books when they start work, because their
supervising engineer doesn't want to deal with it or check over calcs
done
that way.  That's certainly understandable, because after 10 or 20 years
of
using any system, it gets really easy, so why slow yourself down?
Without
ASD being formally taught, or supported in updated steel manuals, I have
hard time seeing how it will exist in another 20 years.  A few UBC
issues
down the road, will they really want to reference a decades old (by
then)
ASD manual when there will be fresh new LRFD manuals around?
Eventually,
the engineers who have been getting out of school lately will ascend to
the
corner office, and they won't care whether ASD or LRFD are used, since
they
will have learned one in school and one in the work place.  When the new
guys under them, fresh from schools of the future, want to work is LRFD,
no
one will stop them, and ASD will be dead, even if the UBC/IBC hasn't
killed
it some time before then.  That is why the future is LRFD.