Re: ASD vs. LRFD

SHAR1210(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

At present about 70% or more engineers nationwide are using LRFD?
Where does that 70% number come from?  Like others who have already responded, I will use LRFD if, and only if, there is some REAL reason to do so.  Following along with the herd doesn't qualify.

While I do agree with my graduate school advisor of many moons ago, Ted Galambos (widely termed the "Father of LRFD") that LRFD is a more logical method in some applications, original design of low rise structures is not one of them.  Personally, I have attended seminars and engaged in independent study to better understand and use LRFD.  But I sum it up best by saying I use ASD.

Phil Hodge