Re: Plywood Shearwals & Elevated Conc Piers

Paul_Reilly(--nospam--at)dot.ca.gov wrote:

> A light-frame structure, with plywood shearwalls, does not have
> sufficient
> lengths of tributary shearwalls (Li), within the 'wall-line' being
> considered,
> to comply with the prescribed height/length ratios for plywood shear
> walls.
> May the bases of the Li be elevated above the finish floor to attain
> the minimum
> height/length ratio?   If so, must all Li within the wall-line be the
> same?
> Thanks in advance.

I have seen this type of thing done, esp at garage door openings.
However the the way it was done was a joke.  Can you really depend on
the extra chunk of concrete to develop a narrow shearwall?   Unless the
"extended" stem wall or corner pier is  designed  & constructed properly
(a grade beam & adequate reinforcement) you'd just be kidding yourself.
For a proper design the concrete must be able to fully develop the
shearwall.

BTW does this mean 6" or 2' ?

May the bases of the Li be elevated above the finish floor to attain the
minimum
height/length ratio?

regards
Bob

--
Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
Senior Development Engineer