Re: Special message for Lurker's

Ideally, I agree with you that a foreward of the post to a board or chair
would be more benificial. The problem stems from getting Lurkers to express
their opinions on topics that they not only have interest in, but that has an
effect upon their practice.
I'm not advocating indiscriminate flooding of the List just to waste
bandwidth. You should be able to see by this thread alone that no matter how
hard I try to get a response from the "Lurking" community very few actually
do.
We will soon have Global Codes which we need to comply with. If there are
problems in the written code or the methodology used, we have an obligation
to speak out on the issue. If "lurkers" or any other active participant was
willing to foreward their comments to appropriate organization members who
could consititute change, I would not have an argument - most don't and most
stay silent.
The one thought I disagree with is the level of understanding by those who
respond. A great many Lurkers don't have the confidence in their opinions,
maybe can't debate as well as others, but can still have an opinion as to
what is right and what is wrong (or simply what needs to be changed). The day
that we have too many responses flooding this list - we will break it up into
multiple lists to accomodate the most active types of construction. Until
then, we are not flooded with posts which we are obligated to read - this is
the reason for the delete key.
Finally, the last thing in the world I would want to do is to negate another
professional's opinion because he or she is not as opinionated as the rest of
us - there is equality on the List and enough room for a post to appear.
Other than these points, I would agree with the ideal direction that support
or rejection should go - I just don't believe that Lurkers will take the time
or effort to do this.

Dennis S. Wish PE

In a message dated 6/13/99 8:08:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,