Re: Special message for Lurker's

In a message dated 6/13/99 3:20:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time, vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com
writes:

<< If the list was in jeopardy of apparent low participation, threat of wind
up
 would surely bring all lurkers forward.  Me?  Well about all I'm good for is
 lurking and fishing anyway.

 Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
 Victoria BC
 Canada
 vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com >>

Thor, first of you are not a "Lurker" and the ton of posts under your name
indicates that.
Second, I think you missed the point - it's the numbers that help to sway the
opinions and motivate those who are in a position to create codes, to invest
the time to reevaluate or change the direction of the work they are doing.
All professional organizations are political and are influenced by hard
numbers - SEA is not different. A few outspoken members does not consititute
the opinions of the majority when there are 15,000 known subscribers.
Therefore, the boards and chairs are more apt to respond to the majority
concensus rather than a few outspoken "zealots" such as myself.
Logic and reason are only the mechanics to register numbers - in themselves,
historically, they accomplish very little. This is why it is so important to
the majority who Lurk to do the easiest thing possible - post either an
affirmation or rejection of the opinions stated.

Dennis Wish PE