Re: Special message for Lurker's

In a message dated 6/14/99 4:13:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com
writes:

<< Agreed.  In fact I recall a number of minor surveys that did attract a bit
 of movement and I see that there are honest suggestions as to how to monitor
 the important issues.

 Is there evidence at your end that the influential are paying heed to the
 threads herein?  I do read the postings from various people who are involved
 but does their participation lead to significant changes?

 Thor Tandy  P.Eng  MCSCE
 Victoria BC
 Canada
 vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com >>

Most definately. I think that we are gaining a great deal of support and
acknowledgment from the  "boards and chairs".  The proof is that members like
John Shipp, Ron Hamburger, Bill Warren, Bill Nelson, Rick Ranous, Bob Bossi,
Ali Sadre, et al, who are the present "powers to be" are activly
participating in the discussions and debates that are going on.
These are the "Boards and Chairs" who are influential in California. I would
hope that soon, the "B&C" of other organizations will participate - we have
had one response two weeks ago from Dr. Gene Corley who is prominent in SEA
of Illinois.
About two years ago, Rawn Nelson posted his first message on the List. For
those who may not see the significance - Rawn is one of the long time active
participants in SEAOSC and who is influential in the NCSEA as well. Rawn's
participation on the list opened the doors for others to participate and this
led SEAOSC to understanding the strength in the List service.
Through the persistance of board members like Jim Lai (current SEAOSC
president) we were able to start SEAINT which was intended to be a
non-political forum which engineers can use to resolve issues and influence
those B&C's of other organizations.

Don't misunderstand - we are making tremendous ground as SEAINT is rapidly
being acknowledged by many professional organizations. My argument has been
to bring more voices to the forefront so that the B&C's will understand the
strength of the committement by professional engineers who are concerned with
the quality of the codes we use.

I've said this before - don't confuse constructive critism with distaste or
malfeasents of our professional society. We are best to change what we have
than to start over. We just need to develope a solidarity among professionals
who have been involved in doing the work for years with those of us who are
just comming into the picture due to the advances of the technology. There
needs to develope a mutual respect where everyone can work at the same level.

Regards,
Dennis