Re: Common versus Box Nails

If I recall, a comparative study was done between box nails and Common's.
This may have been done in the early 90's by the existing building committee
of SEAOSC. My recollection is that Box nails represented 15%  less allowable
capacity than Commons. Most framers in my area are not aware that code
requires Common nails so I judiciously place notes all over my plans to make
this perfectly clear.
I have had situations where Box nails were used. Rather than pulling all of
the panels off - I recalculated the shear of the panels by reducing their
rated capacity by 15% and checking to see if they still met the demand that
was placed on them. Those that did not comply were removed and replaced.

Dennis Wish PE

In a message dated 6/16/99 9:38:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,