Re: Common versus Box Nails

It get's to a point where you might as well build it for the contractor.  We
have to put so much CYA on the plans it's not even funny.
In answer to your question, the engineer should specify common nails on the
plans.  The contractor is also at fault for not knowing the difference
between a common and a box nail.  The engineer needs to specify nail wire
dia. as an extra step to ensure the proper nail is used.

I think there needs to be a concerted effort to educate contractors to
understand what is required and why certain types of materials are specified.
 Contractors can teach us a few things to.

Regards,

Tom Jakaby, SE
San Jose, CA