re: Who hires masonry deputy insp?

UBC Section 1060305 in BOTH the '94 and '97 code requires the Architect or
Engineer to provide an "Inspection and Observation Program" which details
the types of inspections and "the name or names of the individuals or
firms" that will be providing those services, BEFORE THE PERMIT IS ISSUED.
The owner is to hire and pay the Inspection Firm selected.  Just as an
Engineer chooses the type of epoxy or hardware for its published values and
his degree of comfort with those findings, so should the Engineer choose
the Inspection Agency that will be reporting to him on the progress and
satisfaction of his requirements for construction.

I've always thought the Engineer should be more concerned with who was
doing the inspection and testing on the project to which he is asked to
sign off upon completion.  Frequently the owner doesn't even want us on the
job as an "extra expense" and we are frequently considered unnecessary and
"trouble makers" for requiring quality construction.  He finishes the
project, sells the building and is down the road. The Engineer, on the
other hand, is stuck out there forever, so it seems to me he/she/they would
have some serious concerns about the quality of the inspection and testing
and absolutely should select the qualified agency they are familiar and
comfortable with.

My previous post dated 6/13/99 regarding this same subject had the
following information:

We have developed a Inspection and Observation Program pursuant to UBC
106.3.5 that is a full size sheet with the title block blank for your
company name.  We suggest you call it S-1A.   This meets and exceeds the
requirements of this section of the code.   It will soon be downloadable
through the SEAINT Web site in the SEAOSC Quality Assurance Committee
documents.  The hope is that both the Contractor and the Municipal
Inspector would be hard put to say they missed AN ENTIRE PAGE!!

It is currently available through our website.

R. Sandy Pringle,
President
STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.
Special Inspection and Materials Testing - Fully Accredited
     Hermosa Beach,  Pasadena  &  Carson,  CA
    (800)598-1970                 Fax(310)353-2248
  sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com	           http://www.sic-inc.com

Ignorance is more expensive than education....