Re: Special message for Lurker's

The major concern by most is the flooding of this list with unnecessary posts
related to affirmation or rejection of opinions. I admit that this is a valid
point but am at odds for what is sufficient to draw out the masses to
participate in an opinion poll. We have posted opinion polls on the Website,
but I don't believe that there were sufficient participation.

Maybe the answer is to do nothing but then I don't see much value to the
goals of this list other than to discuss How To's. IMHO, I believe that if we
do nothing we have no right to critisize what we feel is wrong with our
profession.

Some have written to me to accuse me of bad mouthing the fine work of our
professional organizations. Personally, I think that I care enough about our
profession to recognize the imperfections and want to change them for the
better. In almost every discussion we have had that I participated in on this
list - I remember backing off on my position when the majority convinced me
that I was wrong.
Why is it wrong for SEA or any other organization to accept and heed
constructive critisim from the members of the profession who wish to improve
the organizations?

Possibly, we should have a poll for all long threads that result in some
controversy. Maybe it is best to place the poll on the website - but I would
be adamantly in favor of riding the backs of the Lurkers to post their vote
in the opinion poll. At least this would reduce the amount of unwanted
posting to the list and accomplish the goals of seeking the opinions of the
masses.

Dennis

In a message dated 6/14/99 8:08:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,