RE: ASD vs. LRFD

> Roger, I appreciate your patience.  There are some on this list who are so
> enamoured with smoke, mirrors, and blind (pro LRFD) prejudice that their
> opinions have degenerated to the name-calling level.
>
> Naturally, none of us hard core conservative, radical right-wing ASD
> fanatics have a prejudiced bone in our bodies :-)
>
> Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
> Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

I find this statement amusing because the individuals who typically get hot
headed during this debate are pro-ASD.  To be quite honest, I do not care
what you use; I use and intend to always use LRFD unless something new is
developed that I think is a better approach.  In my opinion, there are still
instances in which ASD will provide a more economical solution (i.e. LL:DL @
3:1); but I don't design those types of structures.

And regarding Mr. Turk's comment that probabilities are for gamblers, where
do you think code based live load reductions come from????  Do you use them
or do you design all of your roof framing members and columns for 20psf and
floor framing members for 100psf????

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
PRO LRFD
Louisiana