Re: Dumb Question Re Bridge Slab Analysis

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> I'm trying to do a "grillage analysis" of a concrete bridge deck on bulb-tee
> girders.
>
> These girders have, of course, very wide flanges.  I suppose this could
> actually affect the stiffness of the system in the transverse direction,
> since the effect of the flange bending probably should be included. Or
> should it? Seems like a dumb question, but I can be persuaded either way.
>
> I'd like some opinions.
>
> Thanks.

Glad to be off LRFD vs. ASD.  The more accurate your model, the better
informed your engineering judgement is...as long as you're not
overwhelmed with data to interpret.

If you include the flange stiffness, make sure its strength will deliver
performance at the stiffness/stress levels resulting.

Your decision is a matter of professional "taste" to some extent.  More
conservative w/ a crude analysis or include the stiffness effect and
design to that edge.  I try to model as close to reality as possible and
sleep better at night.

Laurence B. Oeth, P.E.