Re: ASD v. LRFD

Brian K. Smith wrote:

> [...]
Thank you for making my point again.  The welds didn't know, and neither
did (nearly) the entire profession.  Meanwhile we expend energy on LRFD
vs. ASD.

Given the $$ value of welded moment connection structures just on the
West Coast which have now been shown to be failure-prone, did we expend
our limited professional development resources well?

With the intelligence and devotion to duty I see on these pages, I think
the only thing holding our profession back is this continued focus on
non-major issues while ceding the decision-making to others less skilled
(insurance, bankers, lawyers, you name it).

Laurence B. Oeth, P.E.