RE: Seismic - Isolating CMU infill wall

CHB or CMU has its own reinforcements. The reinforcements are two-way.
Horizontal bars are spanning and anchored to the columns and vertical bars
are anchored to the girders / beams. If  a gap is provided between the
columns and the walls, the gap would only be minimized and not maintained
since the wall would sway together with the beams / girders and columns. And
if the wall would attach itself, it would not create additional stiffness to
the column and cause failure since only a part.
Here in the Philippines, we do not use CHB as part of the lateral force
resisting system. It is an unreliable method / system for lateral
resistance. The sad thing also is that the strength and durability of CHB
here cannot be trusted much more if it was bought in a local hardware. Maybe
if it's "Jackbilt" or "JackBuilt".

A. Yango
TMP