Re:ASD vs LRFD

I would like to hear from those that using LRFD to design structures
regarding the importance of checking defelections after the member is sized
for strength. To what extent does deflection end up controlling over strength
and a redesign then become necessary. Based on an AISC seminar I attended, it
looks like deflection checks are not only more important than for ASD, but
the calcs themselves were time consuming and more complicated than just using
a simple deflection equation. (With ASD, a member size based on allowable
stress most of the time met the deflection acceptance citeria). But I defer
to those that are practitioners in LRFD.