Bridge Problem?

The manufacturers of the light vehicular and/or pedestrian truss steel bridges provide slotted holes in the baseplates on BOTH ends of the bridge. That effectively means that the longitudinal earthquake load is resisted by the joint between the bridge deck and abutments.

The manufacturers's engineers (PE) claim "standard practice." Indeed, I checked several designes - they basically are the same. Can we accept the concept of a beam with BOTH roller supports?

Vyacheslav "Steve" Gordin, SE
Irvine CA