RE: Inq. - San Jose Seminar - Rigid vs Flexible Diaphragm

Dennis

Let me clarify some of the issues you inquired about the San Jose Building
Division workshop on the 97 UBC structural provisions:

1-	In regard to the issue of flexible vs. rigid diaphragm. (Again, as a
reminder to those who may not be familiar with this, the treatment of wood
diaphragm is not a 97 UBC code change). An example was solved involving a
wood roof diaphragm. I expressed my "personal opinion" that the verification
of diaphragm rigidity is not warranted. I elaborated on the issue and
mentioned that there are two different schools of thought on this and
mentioned the lengthy discussions we have had on the SEA list server on this
issue. At no time was it mentioned that this is a City of San Jose policy.

2-	We are however, going to bring the issue to the attention of Silicon
Valley Uniform Code Group, which is an entity comprised of building official
in the Bay area. I believe there is a need for some consistent application
of this throughout our region. Being busy with the code adoption process and
regular work I have not had the chance to formulate a policy initiative and
present it to the Group yet, but it will be done pretty soon.

3-	There were no specific documents presented in the workshop for this
particular issue. The handout that was distributed contained sample case
studies of different types of constructions and how they are affected by the
97 UBC.

Hope this clarifies it for you. I will keep you posted on how this
progresses in our jurisdiction and what the eventual policy may turn out to
be.

Regards,
Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA