Re: ASD vs. LRFD

>This is painfully evendent reqarding the Pre-Northridge steel moment
>connection.  Both styles learned from mistakes.
Interesting thing about this is that brittle fracture had been known
about for a long time before Northridge. Those mistakes had been learned
and techniques for correcting them put into practice 20 years before the
connection failures. As Petroski pointed out we seem to learn only from
our failures--I gues because we never examine our successes.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw