From: Jim Kestner [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 1999 5:41 AM
To: Structural Engineers Association International
Subject: Footing Steps

I am curious as to what others' philosphy is regarding stepping of
foundations down to a lower level. I typically try to step them,
however, there may be instances where the steps would be too many or too
steep to properly be accomodated. I have seen others' drawings where
they simply run the upper level footing into the side of the foundation
wall of the lower footing. This seems OK if the soil is compacted well
beneath the upper footing or the wall is reinforced to span across this
weak zone of backfill. I always require that the concrete walls be
doweled together.

What do others do in this circumstance?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.