RE: Seismic - Isolating CMU infill wall

A. Yango wrote: "If  a gap is provided between the columns and the walls, the gap would only be minimized and not maintained since the wall would sway together with the beams / girders and columns"

Not true.  The wall and the frame would have different deformation patterns.  The CHB wall deflects like a cantilever.  The frame will act in a much flexible way, so it would lean on the wall and it will get extra stiffness than assumed in your calcs.

As far as the CHB quality is concerned, we use clay bricks more often here in Argentina.  Problem (same as yours) is, the quality is not very reliable.
But  when you have low buildings, with a lot of walls, why not use them -even not relying on the specified strenghts- to resist lateral forces?  You will be surprised to see how easily you can trust most of the lateral resistance to this very rigid walls.
By the way, the frame will then be no more than a knot helping to tie the CHBs together.  So you will get need less reinforcement.  The load path will be the wall, not the frame in bending.
Try this one out;  it is very difficult to isolate the wall from the frame as I said before.

Rodrigo Lema.