Re: ASD vs. LRFD

I don't have the answers to everyone's questions and
comments about ASD versus LRFD.  However, I want to give
you advance notice of an upcoming program that might help
answer some of the questions.

The National Council of Structural Engineers Associations
(NCSEA) will be presenting a program on LRFD in March
2000 in Miami, Florida.  This will be the inaugural
program for (what is hoped to be) the annual Structural
Engineering Winter Institute.  The Winter Institute will
be a 5-day educational program, focusing each year on a
single theme.  I am the Program Chair for the Winter
Institute.

The LRFD program will consist of about 1-1/2 days on LRFD
steel design (presented by AISC), about 1-1/2 days on
LRFD wood design (presented by American Wood & Paper
Association, publisher of the NDS and LRFD Manual), and
about 1 day of simplified LRFD design of concrete
(presented by PCA.)

The objectives of the program are:
1.  Describe the basics of load and resistance factor
design (LRFD)
2.  Explain the differences between allowable (working)
stress design and LRFD
3.  Provide basic working knowledge of LRFD design
specifications for structural steel, wood
4.  Provide simplified solutions for LRFD design of
concrete

The program is targeted at:
Principal structural engineers - to learn about LRFD and
how it could help their business
Structural project engineers/managers - to see how LRFD
can be applied to daily activities
Junior structural engineers - to see engineers apply
design requirements to practical problems.

There will also be optional activities for spouses.

More information should be available in the next few
weeks.  Watch the listserver, and Structure magazine.

(Ask your wife/husband if they want to go to Miami for a
week in the winter.  Answer: sign-up early - this program
will fill fast.)

Hope to see you all next March.