LRFD and ASD

I've tried to post a message addressing the subject of LRFD and ASD a few
times now, but it keeps coming back to me with a message that it is too
long for distribution on the SEAINT List Server. I guess I'm wordy as
usual!

The text that I've been trying to post is from an article I wrote with the
ASCE Committee on LRFD in the February 1997 issue of AISC's Modern Steel
Construction (page 22-27) a little more than two years ago. It addresses a
lot of the points and topics that have been flying back and forth on the
LRFD/ASD issue. More importantly, I believe it answers the spirit of the
original question, which I'll paraphrase as "Why do we need LRFD?".

Unfortunately, Modern Steel Construction isn't yet available electronically
back to that issue. I thought about posting the text to the entire list in
segments, but decided that would just be annoyingly repetitive to those
that were not interested. So.....

If you are interested in reading it and have the February 1997 issue in
your library, it starts on page 22. If your library no longer includes that
issue, please e-mail me privately (carter(--nospam--at)aiscmail.com) and I'll reply to
you with a cut-and-paste of the text.

As you could probably guess, the article embodies my personal opinion,
which is that the acceptance of LRFD into the mainstream is vital to the
long-term competitiveness of steel design and construction.

Charlie