Re: Stainless Steel liner on Kiln

I'd like to know about this too.

The coefficient of thermal expansion of thermal expansion of stainless is
about 50 percent higher than carbon steel.  If you weld carbon to
stainless, it doesn't take much temperature change to have exciting things
happen.

It's common to use stainless steel bottoms and lower wall sections in wet
bottom precipitators.  Wrinkles are also common in that application.

In steel stacks, it's normal to use stainless steel for the upper section.
There's always a challenge with the connection between the carbon and
stainless sections.

The pressure vessel people have a technique that seems to work but I don't
understand how.  On a stainless steel vessel, they use a thin piece of
stainless welded flat against the outside of a stainless steel vessel.
They call it a "poison plate".  They then weld a carbon steel mounting lug
(shoe arrangement) to the vessel wall thru this thin plate.  For some
reason, this seems to work.

I don't have answers on this, only questions.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

> From: MSSROLLO(--nospam--at)aol.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Stainless Steel liner on Kiln
> Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 12:53 PM
>
> I was looking for anyone that has had some experience with using 304
> Stainless as a liner for a rotary kiln that processes crushed limestone.
The
> unit operates at 350 to 370 degrees.

<snip>