From: Robert Rollo [mailto:rrollo(--nospam--at)TEAM-PSC.com]
Sent: Monday, June 21, 1999 2:28 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: ACAD LT

Nels et al:

If you are looking for single user platform with relative ease of use and
economy, may I suggest AutoCAD LT.  about 1/8 to 1/10th the cost of full
autocad platform (about $350-400 if memory serves).  Drawback is, no 3D and
no lisp programming. (Can do some "programming" with macros though . . )

Problem with some of the other platforms is industry compatibility.  I know
they pretty much all will write to .dxf format, but this doesn't always
create ease of drawing file management and sharing to/from the architect
that you are working for or the subs you have hired.  In fact, is a major
headache when we have to deal with other platforms (import or export).  We
are always  sending floorplans and framing plans in and out, titleblock
standards, etc.

If you need this kind of file swapping capability, Microstation and ACAD are
obviously the dominant platforms.  Sound like you don't need the full bells
and whistles version of either, but ACAD LT would give you some of the
benefits of "industry compatibility" with relatively low cost . .

Just a few cents worth . . .

PS:  We don't actually run LT, but have considered it.  We run about 50
licenses of ACAD 14/ACAD 2000 and 15 licenses of Microstation SE and J.  We
considered LT for our design staff that do not need full production
capability, but more like a thinking, sketching, rough draft and plotting
tool.