Re: Visual Analysis vs. Risa-3D the Window version

In a message dated 6/22/99 1:30:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time, yosi_h(--nospam--at)msn.com
writes:

<< Hi,
 Anyone has tried "Visual Analysis" and " Risa-3D the Window version" to see
 which one RULES!?
 Thanks,
 Joseph Harouni >>

Joseph
It's too early to make a determination on Risa3D for windows, however,  I
have seen the Beta and think that this will be a "killer" piece of software.
It maintains some of the intuitive features of the DOS version which makes
learning the menu structure very straight forward.
To be fair, I am also evaluating MultiFrame 4.0. This is another "great"
piece of software (except for the hardware lock which I have a long time
distaste for). Multiframe is also very intuitive and, I think, easy to learn.
STRAP comes in a close second (if you don't consider RISA3D) although STRAP
comes with a more comprehensive library of steel, cold-form and wood. I have
not given STRAP as much attention as I should because of the restrictions of
the evaluation copy I have. My overall impression is that it is an extremely
powerful FEM program with excellent technical support.

I guess I have been most impressed with MultiFrame because it was originally
a MAC program. Not many of us think about valid MacIntosh software for
engineering and this one suddenly appears on the PC platform with years of
experience. The graphical interface is easy to learn and the help library is
excellent.

I'll have more information on STRAP and MultiFrame in our September issue of
SEAINT Online. If you are not receiving Online from your professional
organization (SEA, CASE, ASCE etc.) ask your local chapter to contact SEAOSC
at seaosc(--nospam--at)aol.com to request the number of copies they want to mail to their
members. We will be happy to provide them free to professional organizations
willing to distribute online.
For those who are not members of professional organizations (shame on you),
you can still read Online which will be posted on our website at
www.seaint.org. There is some time required to convert from the printed
version to PDF format and maintain active links to our advertisers.
Unfortunately, I am behind on posting the second issue but have the first
issue ready to read.

Dennis Wish PE
Editor SEAINT Online