Re: STRUCTURAL QUESTION

In a message dated 6/22/99 8:21:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, TahirQ(--nospam--at)AOL.COM
writes:

<< ENGINEERS:

 I have a 30'x30' wood structure.  There are 3 walls 2 exterior and one
 interior to support rafters and ceiling beams.
 The problem is one of the exterior 8' high wall is tilted(bowed) out side at
 the top about 1" in the middle.  All the rafters and ceiling beams are tied
 on the wall with nails.

 The questions is DO WE NEED TO FIX IT OR DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.  WHAT COULD
BE
 THE PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE?  It is not easy to fix it or is there an easy way
 to fix it.

 Any suggestions will be appreciated.

 TAHIR >>

Was the wall erected out of plumb or is it bowed (more typical of wood
construction). It is typical to place the crown side of studs on the outside
face of wall and shim the interior to create a flat wall surface. However,
this rarely every places a wall out of plumb.
I have designed walls for architectural purposes that are tilted ourward 15
degrees. You need to consider the horizontal reaction and insure that it is
properly tied to the structure and there is sufficient resistance to further
displacement (other than the allowable deflection of the diaprhagm and
shearwalls).
With that said, a 1-inch displacement in an 8'-0" wall is, in my opinion, not
going to generate sufficient force from the weight of the wall to cause a
problem. However, aesthetically, I would repair the wall by cutting the nails
that secure the joists and blocking to the wall, plumb the wall and secure
the blocking and joists back in place.

The ability to do this is, admittedly, determined by accessiblity and the
degree of finish which your information does not provide.

Hope this helps.
Dennis