RE: 125' long steel truss, connection question

Simon
We designed several structures like that. Normally, we assume that the Top
and Bottom Chords are frame members. During actual construction they are
specified as continuous members. While the web members are (vertical and
diagonal) are all axial members. Therefore, the connection between the web
members and the Top and Bottom Chords are designed for axial loads only.
The Top and Bottom Chord connections are designed for flexure and axial
force. You don't have to worry now about the amount of fixity for the web
members.
Now, the flexural forces would come when a purlin is connected not at the
joint but anywhere between the joints. This would induce moment along the
Top Chord. Normally, connections between web members (diagonals and
verticals) and top chord and bottom chord are welded to have an amount of
offset (their centroidal axis would not coincide) inducing flexure. This is
done so that
the produced moment would counteract the dead and live forces but it should
be ensured that downward loading would govern and not wind suction forces
(vertical) otherwise the moment due to member offset would add and not
counteract. A thorough explanation of this procedure with details can be
found i the book "Design of Welded Structures.
For the Top and Bottom chord splices, they are designed for flexure and if
the pipes are thick, full penetration butt weld is done.
I hope this would help.
Thanks.

A. Yango
CE/SE