RE: 125' long steel truss, connection question

The AISC HSS Connections Manual covers this in detail. You can order it through the AISC web site www.aisc.org or by calling 800/644-2400.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Solorio [mailto:simon(--nospam--at)solorio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 17:02
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 125' long steel truss, connection question

I'm designing a 125' long steel truss, a section view of the truss is a
triangle. The top chords (2 top chords) are pipes and the bottom chord (1
bottom chord) is also a pipe. The web members are pipes.
Questions;
1. the top and bottom chords are going to be a continuous pipe, so when I
analyse the truss should I assume the connection at the node intersections
(at the chords only) fixed or should I analyse it assuming the the chords
are pinned between each node of the truss?

2. the pipe web members are going to welded to the pipe chord members with
fillet welds, where can i find information on how much fixity i should
design this connection.

 << File: ATT00012.htm >>