Re: 125' long steel truss, connection question

>If you design according to the above, you can model the joints with some
>degree of fixity (not perfectly fixed though).  It is easier to analyze
>as pinned and have some reserve strength, however.
Undoubtedly anathema to building designers, but I make it a practice to
use member loads corresponding to complete fixity results for designing
connections. My own experience (borne out by the Northridge business) is
that connections are much more likely to give trouble than the members
themselves. This is where the reserve strength is needed. I think this is
especially true of welds because they don't handle relative displacements
between connected members very well--the strains are just too large.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw