Re: STRUCTURAL QUESTION

I typically use "the Abatement of Dangerous and Hazardous Buildings" by
ICBO as my guide and it translates to say that a wood stud bearing wall can
be out of plumb by 1/3 of it's dimension.  Therefore the 1" should be
acceptable.  Analysis of the forces would be prudent but unless the
vertical loads are quite high, I suspect the numbers will work out.

I've also found this type of condition in many many cases of older wood
framed buildings.  Even if the wall is within limits I've further
investigated and usually find a point of incontinuity on the ceiling
joists.  Typically sloped rafters and ceiling joists work as a truss and
there is horizontal thrust that must be resisted.  If the rafters are not
directly connected to the ceiling joists, this thrust may be resisted  with
an adequate connection to the top plate of the perimeter wall, however I
don't recommend detailing it this way.  I've found in many cases, the weak
point is actually where the ceiling joists are spliced over the interior
wall.  The movement may not all be visible at the splice of the ceiling
joists (bottom chord of the truss) as if the connection at the perimeter
wall is just toenails, slippage quite often occurs there also.

Steve Privett

TahirQ(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> ENGINEERS:
>
> I have a 30'x30' wood structure.  There are 3 walls 2 exterior and one
> interior to support rafters and ceiling beams.
> The problem is one of the exterior 8' high wall is tilted(bowed) out side at
> the top about 1" in the middle.  All the rafters and ceiling beams are tied
> on the wall with nails.

<SNIP>