RE: 125' long steel truss, connection question

> Once connection strength has been changed, all the structural properties,
> i.e., stiffness, mass, damping, may change. Undoubtedly,
> structure must have a different response.
Depends. The stiffness changes a lot between pinned and fixed ends, but
not as much for different connection styles. The rule of thumb for nuke
plants is that damping about doubles between welded and bolted
conections, (from 2% to 4% at working stress levels) but the difference
for different connection designs is usually ignored.  Connection mass is
very small compared to the structure. I haven't found much effect
whenever I've had a chance to do any testing--seems like the structure
stiffness and mass really drives things. It's not easy changing dynamic
response, once you have the basic shape, I guess because it's tricky
increasing the stiffness without increasing the mass.

>never check if the perfect-rigidity assumption
>is OK at the final design. It is a strange and incomplete procedure.
I think that depends on the type of connections. Straight
member-to-member welds without a lot of bracketing won't stand much
relative deformation. if the deformations aren't continuous the relative
deformation will break the welds. As an example, the displacement (angle
in radians times radius) at the outer fiber of a 12 inch deep member is
0.011 in (=0.00175x6) for 0.1 degree of relative rotation. The _average_
strain in a 1/2 in fillet weld would be 2.5%; the local strain (at the
fillet heel) is probably 10 times that, which is more than enough to
crack it.

And bolted connections, in machinery, anyway, need to be secure enough to
prevent relative movement. Otherwise the bolt loading cycles and fatigue
failure results. If the bolt doesn't loosen and drop out first.

Brackets and such can handle relative movement because the connecting
elements allow for it. And if the connection doesn't see much movement in
service, from temperature changes or gust loading, a few big stretches
won't hurt much if the weld is properly made.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw