RE: castellated beams

You may want to look at "Design of Welded Structures". It has a more or less
complete discussion of how to design the these beams. Shear forces and
stresses are discussed thoroughly. They depend of course on the thickness
and the angle of cut. Since the web have discontinuities, shear stresses are
high along the corners of cuts.  I would suggest you try going for oval or
rounded cut rather than the ones with corners.
Hope this helps.

A. Yango
CE/SE
TMP