Re: Construction Observation

In a message dated 6/27/99 0:05:05 AM EST, SONSUR2(--nospam--at)AOL.COM writes:

<< I am designing a 2 story nursing home / hospital in L. A.  my client wants
me
 to give him a lump sum estimate for the construction observation and field
 check as an engineer on record. Can somebody who has experience in this
field
 give me an idea with the regard to inspection, number of trips required and
 man hours for the engineer on record for the duration of construction.

Do not do it on a lump sum, bill your time on an hourly basis.  L.A. City
requires the structural observation and has forms which you must fill out for
each phase of construction which you observe. I assume that OSHPD is involved
if this is a skilled nursing facility.

You have no control over how the contractor is going to sequence the
construction.  As an example, one contractor might pour the foundation on
three different days, placing rebar only before each pour while another
contractor might place all the foundation rebar first and you only have to
inspect it once eventhough he pours the foundation over three days.  Same
goes for plywood sheathing.  The contractor may request you come out to
observe a small area so he can proceed with framing in this area which will
prevent observation in the future.  There can be multiple trips, and each
trip will probably take at least two hours minimum if you include travel time
to and from the office.

I believe this topic has been discussed before, so you might want to check
the Archives.

Michael Cochran