Re: Shotcrete at shear walls boundary elements

ACI 506R-90 is the American Concrete Institute Guide to Shotcrete.  It
defines gunite as a term sometimes used for dry-mix shotcrete.

Chapter 6 includes a procedure for preconstruction testing making use of
panels to be cut or cored to verify quality.  A separate panels should be
made for each mixture proportion being considered, and for each shooting
position: down, horizontal and overhead.  It recommends that the test panel
include the same reinforcing pattern as in the structure to show whether
sound shotcrete is obtained behind the reinforcing bars.

I have not used gunite in my current practice, but in the office of my
previous employer (in the L.A. area), it was standard that test panes were
required for shotcrete projects, and the test panels were broken and
rigorously observed; typically nozzleman and nozzleman-helper crews were
disqualified on the basis of the test panels they produced, (sometimes
numerous crews) before a crew was able to competently produce satisfactory
panels.

The test panels may also be cored for specimens to evaluate compression
strength.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer