RE: 1997 UBC Simplified Design

The exceptions to the static lateral force procedure that apply to the
simplified procedure are listed in section 1630.2.3.4. Section 1630.6 that
deals with the horizontal distribution of shear is not one of the
exceptions. Therefore, if you have a bona-fide rigid diaphragm, even if you
use the simplified procedure, you still need to distribute your horizontal
shear according to the rigidity of the vertical lateral force resisting
elements.

Ben yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA