RE: WIN98 Question

In other words, you were envisioning OS/2. That is EXACTLY how it works with
that system.

Unfortunately, this damnation and brimstone we call Windows won't allow
this, because EVERYTHING is tied to that stupid three-character extension
(with OS/2, you had "extended attributes," similar in concept to the
resource fork used in the MacOS, which "told" the system what kind of file
was being handled. You could name the d*mn thing anything you wanted, and it
didn't matter, because the EAs told the system what kind of file it was).